Image

Image

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

On Ramp: Day 8 - Nutrition Class

Today Josh went over the basics of good nutrition that enhances performance. First thangs first.

A meal includes these 3 MACROnutrients. MACRO, because they're a BIG deal. Got it?

Protein
Carb
Fat

Proteins promote muscle health. Carbs are fuel. Fats are super fuels. Proteins are meats and eggs. Acceptable carbs are fruits and vegetables. We'll talk about grains in a minute. Fats are nuts, oils, seeds, and peanut butter. Each meal should contain one of each of these. If you're missing one of the macronutrients, you might as well have missed a meal completely.

A snack is just a smaller meal. Eating 4-6 meals a day keeps your body fueled and helps control insulin. (cat food flashback...) Food is for fuel and recovery... NOT for treating yourself or for enjoyment. I have a hard time understanding this. I know this in my head, but I really am a food lover, so I'm working to break this bad relationship with food. Pray for me, y'all. Anyway, in case you were wondering - females should aim for 17-20g of protein each meal, 30g for guys.

Grains & Dairy Discussion
I love the way Josh explained this. What does a farmer feed a cow he wants to fatten up quickly for slaughter? Grains. What happens when we eat grains? 'Nuff said. What do we feed babies to help them grow and retain fat? Milk. Whether it's formula or breast milk - we push dairy to children because it promotes growth. Same deal for adults, people. You may say, "Well, I need the calcium." Calcium can be obtained through plenty of fruits and vegetables... and if your source of carbs is fruits and vegetables, chances are you're taking in plenty of calcium. If not, get a vitamin to supplement.

Today Josh never even used the words Paleo or Zone, to my surprise. However, alot of the folks in my class were curious, as surely they'd heard of this before they started Crossfit. For those of you that asked, here's a start-up guide to paleo/zone that also includes links to a block calculator and meal plans.

While my cat food journey gleaned results, I'm looking forward to how my body will react to this Paleo/Zone/Crossfit fusion. I plan on starting next week with a new month. I may even throw in the Advocare 24 Day Challenge somewhere and see just how lean I can get in a month ;) It's all about planning and choices. If you can plan ahead and make good choices, the rest is easy peasy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notable Quotables

"What kinda animals graze? Cows. Who wants to look like a cow? If you're gonna eat, eat a meal."
- Josh Carter

"I'd rather be enjoyed than my food be enjoyable."
- Josh Carter

"If it's sweet, spit it out."
- Josh Carter

"I love to talk about poop."
- Shannon... had to throw this one in here :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me laugh before I go to bed. Love the quotes again! Trust me... Nutrition really is key! It got me where I am. You can do it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy! I'm glad I've got you to answer questions I may have ;)

    ReplyDelete